Healing and Preventing Sunburns this Summer
This summer, be kind to your skin: wear sunscreen. Many of us believe that sunscreen is only needed when you’re at risk for a burn, but if you want to slow the signs of aging, sunscreen needs to be an everyday practice. Up to 90% of the changes in your skin attributed to aging are actually caused by sun exposure (and don’t forget about skin cancer). Good sun practices this summer and beyond will help you to look younger, longer. Slather on that sunscreen with pride… your skin will love you!
Sunscreen: Why You Need It and How to Use It
Sunscreen should be a must-do part of your skin care routine year round. For daily use, a good SPF 15 is usually sufficient, but make sure you’re using it correctly. Here are some tips for getting the most out of your sunscreen use.
- Use Plenty: Are you using enough sunscreen? You need a nickel-sized dollop for your face alone. If you’re applying to the whole body, you’ll need a lot more (about a shot glass worth).
- Reapply Often: Sunscreen isn’t a “apply once and forget about it” kind of product. You need to reapply every couple of hours for maximum effectiveness. Reapply more frequently if you’re swimming or sweating.
- Don’t Forget the Ears: Sunscreen can only work where it is applied. Don’t forget these commonly forgotten areas.
I Already Have Sun Damage… What Can I Do?
If your sun habits haven’t been the best in the past, don’t despair. You can make positive changes today and come see Dr. Matarasso to correct some of the damage. The following treatments are a good choice for patients with sun damage.
- Fraxel: The Fraxel laser is a skin rejuvenation treatment that targets and treats damaged skin while leaving the surrounding tissues intact. This promotes faster healing. You’ll start to see results immediately after treatment with continued improvement as the body heals and boosts collagen production. This is a great option for sun damage.
- IPL: IPL (short for intense pulsed light) is a non-surgical, non-invasive option for treating problem skin. It is a great option for treating sun spots, hyperpigmentation and freckles, all signs of sun damage.
- Skin Cancer Detection: Skin cancer is something most of us want to think about, but early detection can be a lifesaver. A skin cancer detection appointment with Dr. Matarasso is an excellent addition to your own personal cancer checks. We recommend this screening regularly for all patients, even those with optimal sun practices.
Be sun smart! Call us today and book your appointment with Dr. Matarasso.