Adult Acne: What Causes It and How Do I Get Rid of It?
Adults are often surprised when acne strikes. They may have thought that breakouts were only a problem faced by teens. Acne can strike at any age, young or old. If you have acne, come see Dr. Matarasso. Don’t endure embarrassing breakouts; treatment options are available.
What Causes Adult Acne?
Just like teenage acne, adult acne can have many causes. That big project at work (or actually the stress caused by it), stopping birth control pills (or changes in your hormone levels), medications, and even your genetics can lead to breakouts.
When it comes down to it, acne is caused by a few primary factors including oil production, dead skin cells, bacteria, and clogged pores. Treating these causes can greatly reduce or eliminate the amount of acne you experience.
Treatment Options for Adult Acne
The causes of acne are highly individualized and so should be your treatment plan. Dr. Matarasso works closely with every patient to find the best solutions for their acne. Often a multi-method approach works best. These methods target the primary causes of acne. Used together Dr. Matarasso can use these treatments to reduce oil production, unclog pores, kill bacteria, and remove dead skin cells. Here are some of the approaches Dr. Matarasso may recommend:
- Proper Cleansing– Over or under-cleansing the skin can lead to breakouts. You may receive training in proper skin care along with advice for choosing the best products for your type of acne and skin type.
- Topical Medications and Masques– Topical treatments and masques can be used to slow oil production, reduce inflammation, and kill bacteria within the pores. Retin-A and benzoyl peroxide are common topical treatments. These are often applied at home and may or may not require a prescription.
- Exfoliating Treatments– Exfoliating treatments (including alpha-hydroxy acid) can remove dead skin cells and open pores.
- Antibiotics– Topical or oral antibiotics can kill stubborn bacteria.
- Chemical Peels- An in-office chemical peel is a great option for unclogging pores, reducing oil production, and removing dead skin cells. Chemical peels may also include extractions where pimples and blackheads are manually removed.
Taking the Next Step
Do you suffer from adult acne? Give us a call today at 415-362-2238 to schedule your appointment with Dr. Matarasso. Don’t be embarrassed to get the treatment you need. Acne isn’t just for teens. Many of our acne patients are adults, just like you. Clearer skin awaits!