10 Tips to Maintain Healthy Skin During Summer
Summer is here and that means sunshine. While we all love soaking up the sun it is important to remember that your skin might be as excited about spending time outside as you are. The sun’s UV rays can be very damaging to skin. Here are 10 tips to help your skin look beautiful and stay healthy this summer.
1. Wear Sunscreen – The sun’s UV rays don’t just cause sunburns. They can also lead to premature wrinkling, sun damage and even skin cancer. Wear sunscreen any time you go outside, even if it’s cloudy. Sunscreen should be applied all over your body, not just on your face.
2. Cover Up – Long sleeves and hats are another way to combat sun exposure and keep your skin looking healthy. Wear a hat and sunglasses whenever possible, but don’t skip the sunscreen. Some clothing (a thin white shirt for example) only provides minimal UV protection.
3. Exfoliate – Exfoliation removes old layers of skin allowing the fresh, new skin to shine through. Microdermabrasion, a popular skin resurfacing technique, exfoliates the top layers of the skin and thickens collagen helping your skin to look younger, smoother and more beautiful.
4. Get Checked for Skin Cancer – Skin cancer detection can help you find and treat potential cancers before they spread and become more serious. Schedule an appointment and have Dr. Matarasso do a full body examination looking for potential abnormalities.
6. Avoid the Tanning Booth – Tanning booths are not a healthy option for getting a tan. Sunless tanning products are much safer since they don’t expose your skin to UV rays. Help keep your skin healthy by skipping the tanning booth this summer.
7. Properly Care for Your Skin – Healthy, beautiful skin requires the proper care. Take the time to cleanse your skin and remove makeup each day.
8. Choose Summer Friendly Makeup- Thick, heavy makeup products don’t do well with the summer’s heat and humidity. Rather than applying thick foundations consider using lighter makeup during the summer. Tinted moisturizer is a great way to even skin tone.
9. Drink Lots of Water- Healthy skin is hydrated skin. Drink plenty of water to help your skin look its best.
10. Exercise – Exercise isn’t just good for the body; it is also good for the skin. With daily exercise you’ll look better and feel better this summer.
We want you to look your best this summer. Contact our offices and schedule an appointment to learn more about helping your skin stay healthy all year round.